Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Persistent Vision

Three weeks from today will be my 30th birthday. I feel surprisingly ambivalent about it...and I think that's probably a pretty good thing. To be honest, I've been too busy to worry about much of anything, least of all something I have no control over (I know, I know...I COULD always put myself in deep-freeze, but it's expensive!!) I've started teaching a new class and I am chin deep in wedding plans. I haven't been making much new photographic work, but the weather has been so dismal it's practically a miracle that I even wake up in the morning! I have been spending a lot of time researching calls for artists to put my work out in the real world, and I've been trying to rework my website so that it makes more sense.

Speaking of photos, I've been looking at older photographers, namely Lee Friedlander and Lee Miller. Both artists have a very particular eye that distinguishes them-lately I've found myself fretting over my own work, wondering what is going to set it apart and how it's going to endure. I still don't know the answer to that question, but I have the feeling people like Friedlander and Miller didn't entertain those questions very often.


No comments: