Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yes, we can!

Rob and I voted first thing in the morning yesterday. After getting through the line in less than an hour, he went to school and I went on a long walk with my lovely friend Erika. I've been fighting off a nasty cold, but I was determined to stay up for the results and to hopefully hear an acceptance speech to remember. Rob and I were both stunned at how fast the results poured in, and how quickly Obama's lead over McCain grew! I remember being in Florida in 2000 when the election fracas was in full swing, and I was worried that there would be attempts to gum up the works this time too. We went to the Bryant Lake Bowl to have a beer and listen to our new president speak, and the whole experience was so moving, so thrilling, so awe inspiring. I felt a particular jolt when he announced Michelle Obama as the first lady, and I shouted without even realizing it. I have no better words now than "THIS IS SO NECESSARY, THIS IS SO WONDERFUL!" I feel so heartened and inspired to be an American today, and it's not an experience that is familiar. I acknowledge that we could be in situations far worse, but here we are, on the cusp of a tragic and embarrassing presidency and on the verge of what I hope will be a progressive and healing time for our country. And *bonus* no more political ads on tv! I hope that all of my friends and family are feeling as gratified and optimistic as I am today.

No comments: