Sunday, August 17, 2008

You give me (Cabin) fever.

My grandparents-in-law recently offered me the use of their cabin for a girl's trip, and I a group of 7 of us went up last weekend for some badly needed partying and bonding. As the school year is approaching, and I'm getting totally burned out on serving, I really wanted some time where I wasn't staring balefully at my piles of books and notes and all the tedious Power Point presentations I've been fussing over...I needed a lot of laughs, nature, sleeping in, and just a touch of booze. Growing up in Florida, I never experienced the "cabin culture" that is so deeply ingrained here in Minnesota, and I don't think I've ever quite appreciated it the right way until this trip. Portia, Jenn, Kelsey, Kristina, Helen, Erika and myself really maxed out on the pontoon boat, the quiet of the lake and the trees, and all the cocktails we could mix up.

Everyone smile and say "Pontoon boat!"

Righteous mermaids.

Kelsey would not want me to write about the time when she wondered out loud if a bottle of beer would float in the lake...because it's full of liquid, right?...and then tossed a bottle into the water. It sank. Actually, a lot of beer was spilt that weekend. Just a little sacrifice to the party gods I guess!

hhrrmmmmm....yesssss.

A couple of dudes were paddling around the lake and asked us to tow them back in to shore. Jenn told them that they looked like they needed the exercise. Well, it was true! Sorry, but how hard is it to paddle a stupid little boat with your legs? Do they ask their girlfriends to carry them when they get tired of walking?

There were gorgeous ladies relaxing everywhere!

Things got a little silly, but it was fun to turn off the responsible woman part of our brains and act like little kids. We did speculate on whether or not guys get so ridiculous when they go on similar trips. Do they talk about their periods synching up, and banning all "feeling fat" talk, and getting in touch with, you know, their feelings? Do they have dogpiles inbetween margaritas and a game of "Apples to Apples?" They should!

Thank you girls, thank you for making it the best weekend in a long time!

4 comments:

. said...

Floaty beer.


RIP.

. said...

Floaty beer.


RIP.

. said...

whoa!

ellen darth said...

yes, floaty beer. floaty beer for all!